Press Release from the National Park Service:


US Route 209 Commercial Vehicle Permits Available for Sale July 9

Bushkill, PA- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area announced today that active implementation of the US Route 209 commercial vehicle permit program will begin July 9, 2018.  “Typically commercial vehicles are prohibited from national park areas, however, through special legislation, we are now able to issue permits to qualifying commercial vehicles for the purpose of travelling through the park on Route 209,” reported Acting Superintendent Tom Ross.  This special exemption was made possible through the efforts of the Pike and Monroe County Commissioners and several township supervisors with the support and assistance of Congressmen Marino and Cartwright, who sponsored the legislation.

In January 2018, Congress passed Public Law 109-156, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Improvement Act.  The Act allows, until September 30, 2021, commercial vehicles with four or fewer axles that are: (1) owned and operated by a business located in the recreation area or one or more of the adjacent municipalities, or (2) necessary to provide services to businesses or persons located in the recreation area or one or more such municipalities to utilize US Route 209 provided they purchase an annual permit.  The adjacent municipalities are defined by law as: Delaware Township, Dingman Township, Lehman Township, Matamoras Borough, Middle Smithfield Township, Milford Borough, Milford Township, Smithfield Township, and Westfall Township in Pennsylvania.

Effective July 9, annual commercial vehicle permits will be required for all qualifying commercial vehicles to use Route 209 within the recreation area when they are operating from within one of the nine adjacent municipalities identified in the legislation or providing services in one of those municipalities.  The permits are available for vehicles with four or fewer axles that are registered commercially or are used for the purpose of transporting movable property for a fee or profit, either as a direct charge to another person, or otherwise; used as an incident to providing services to another person; or used in connection with any business.  All other commercial vehicles are prohibited and only commercial vehicles with a valid permit will be allowed to use the roadway. Vehicles may be, but do not have to be, registered as commercial to be considered a commercial vehicle under the law.

Beginning in 2019, permits will cost $200 per calendar year per vehicle, regardless of when they are purchased during the year.  Permits are not transferrable and will expire on December 31 of each year.  The cost of a 2018 permit will be set at $100 for the remainder of this calendar year.     All revenue received from permits is used for the administration and enforcement of the program.

All commercial vehicles may travel on US Route 209 between the following points without a permit: between Milford and the Delaware River toll bridge leading to US Route 206 /New Jersey and between Mile 0 of US Route 209 to Pennsylvania State Route 2001 (at Bushkill Falls Road).  Additionally, local school buses and fire, ambulance, and other safety and emergency vehicles may use US Route 209 without a fee or permit.

How do I purchase a permit? 

Complete the application form and submit it with your payment by mail or in person.  Applications are available online at www.nps/dewa/planyourvisit/fees.htm or they can be picked up at Park Headquarters. Mail completed forms with payment to Park Headquarters, Attn:  Commercial Vehicle Permits, 1978 River Road, Bushkill, PA, 18324 or submit your application and payment in person at Park Headquarters during business hours.  Credit card payments cannot be accepted.  Park HQ is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, with the exception of federal holidays.   

For questions or additional information, contact the park’s Fee Program Manager, Johnny Carawan, at (570) 426-2434 or by email at

Kathleen Sandt

Public Affairs Specialist

National Park Service

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

(O) 570-426-2472

(C) 570-234-9144